Yeay Internet

Finally internet access!!

The last few days have been great. We’re still learning the ins and outs of moving around the country, in the belly of a land whale. We move from one state to another and stay for free at truck stops. I think they’re a great place to sleep, but only if your in the belly of a whale. In the whale no one can see inside and we got a deadbolt. Truck stops are a fascinating part of the American experience and most of us forget they’re there. We pull in get gas and never really venture past the front of the station. When you head into the depths of a truck stop you enter the world of the trucker. It’s exciting at night, dark and full of scary large wheeled monsters. The people move about in the darkness and the roar of they’re engines never stops. I love the truck stop at night, of course that’s only because I’m peeking out of a window with blinds in the locked belly of my whale.




First stop on our adventure was the largest aquarium in the WORLD. We’ve been to a lot of aquariums, but this was impressive. The Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta; they have 3 whale sharks and they’re housed in a massive tank with thousands fish, very impressive. The whale sharks are 15 feet long but they’ll top out at 30 feet as adults. They’ll be as big as a school bus. My only regret with the visit was stopping there on a Saturday as crowds are not my thing. This was Erin’s pick of where she really wanted to visit most. We left satisfied that we saw everything. I think we’ll be back to see the whale sharks all grown up in the future.




After a night at a truck stop, we headed on the longest driving leg of the adventure. There’s so much to say about driving cross country. The sights go by much too quick. Alabama was a blur (I think I slept thru that State). The Mississippi river flew past but we had no time to stop. Then came Louisiana, hmmm, that was a blur too. Then came Texas. They say everything is bigger in Texas, they are so right. That’s one big state and all the while we saw oil well after oil well, you could smell it in the air. There were areas of Texas that make you sad; I hate to see vast areas littered with telephone poles to power oil rigs. On the up side we saw some long horn steer grazing and Erin climbed on a train that had just come creaking to a halt near us. The wheels were nearly as tall as Erin and she did get yelled at by all of us for getting on it. We stopped at a truck stop near Odessa, Texas for the night.



Back on the road, we headed for New Mexico. The desert is a strange place. We found our way to Carlsbad, NM. and only got a little sidetracked; 1 wrong turn, but we figured out where we were pretty fast. We got to Whitecity RV Park, which was a strange place; dry, very dry, but near the entrance to the caverns. We pay for our nights stay and drive to our spot down the road a bit. When we get there we’re amazed by all the empty spots. The big white whale is very alone, no one around and I mean no one. I half expected a tumble weed to roll by and a gun fighter to walk past. If that wasn’t bad enough we were lulled into a false sense of comfort in our air conditioned whale. When we opened the door to let the dogs out, the fiery pits of hell must have ignited and blew its blast furnace in our faces; 104 degrees slapped us in the face and sucked all our energy. We locked the dogs in the air conditioned slice of heaven and took the car to explore the caverns. Carlsbad Caverns are huge, we walked many miles. The best part is that the caverns are 56 degrees; perfect for hiking. After exploring the cave, we left and returned later for the bat flight. At the mouth of the cave, 300 thousand bats fly out every evening to get a bite to eat. It’s a wonderful display of nature doing its thing. They have an amphitheater for people to watch the bats fly out. I loved it, the ranger explains everything, and then like magic, it starts. The bats spiral upwards and a continuous wave of little bodies flows out. The kids were not as excited as I was. They wanted a black cloud of bats diving out of the cave at incredible speeds. I can only guess they wanted confusion, lots of screaming and babies crying. They got none of that, so all I got out of them was "it was alright". It takes a lot to impress a teenager. My next try was a real winner. The next morning we signed up for a guided tour of Slaughter Cave. The name alone got them excited. This tour required you to hike up hill to the mouth of the cave thousands (well hundreds) of feet vertical along a skinny path ¾ of a mile long. There the ranger meets up with you and guides you thru an undeveloped cave with flashlights as your only source of light. Sounds cool huh… I thought, no problem I can do it, and I did, even with the fiery pits of hell still open. Our thermometer said 111 degrees. I made it to the top and so did a total of 13 people. See were not the only nuts. The tour was great with a nice small group, at one point we were all required to turn off our lights and be completely silent. The blackness was strange, eyes open or closed it was black, very creepy. I can’t explain the feeling you get after 2 hours of darkness and you finally see the opening to the cave, guess you can say it was uplifting. Great tour, I recommend you try it. The gut wrenching hike to the top I don’t recommend. There really was nothing redeeming about that, (maybe the view).

We dismantled the camp; got the men on sewage duty and we hit the road. Now you know we can’t travel a month without a few problems, but we’d like to think we can fix anything…. The whale pulls with it a dingy (aka) the Ford Escape. We strap that on a car caddy. The wheels are winched down in the front by straps. The straps need to be checked from time to time. To be sure that no slack has developed. While on the road to Whitesands we pulled over to take a picture. I reminded Bruce to check the dingy so off he goes happily whistling along to check. When he looks at it there’s a rabbit skin stuck to the caddy winch, the right wheel had become unstrapped and we had been driving on borrowed time. Ok, I still don’t know how we squished a rabbit and got it hung up but Bruce took a picture. We struggled to set the dingy free; it took some time because the winch became a twisted mess. Once freed, I was elected to drive the dingy behind the white whale for the hour it would take to get to Home Depot. We bought a shiny new sledge hammer type tool; turns out anything can be fixed if you hit it hard enough. With the caddies metal winch back in shape we made it here to our first internet ready campground near Whitesands N.M. Ok now let me see if I can upload this. 




  1. Pattie said,

    June 16, 2006 at 12:36 am

    Where’s the picture of the dead rabbit? I wanted to see some guts! Did you keep the rabbit skin as a souveniour. You could mount it in the whale.

  2. Bri said,

    June 26, 2006 at 10:55 pm

    Dang, that sounds fun, but i cant wait till i get to the part about the grand tetons and yellowstone actual park. haha. Well i gotta go see the picture of the poor little thumper that you squished and skinned, if you have it showing. sounds like loads of fun sofar.

  3. July 1, 2008 at 3:56 pm

    […] 1, 2008 at 3:54 pm (The Farm) The Whale went out for a bit of a swim this weekend. Bruce and I thought we’d escape the heat and head […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: